Kenya’s top candidates to shun presidential debate

Kenya’s top candidates to shun presidential debate
July 06 12:50 2017

The two main candidates competing for Kenya’s presidency in the 8 August election have pulled out of a planned debate organised by the local media.

The first of three debates had according to the BBC been scheduled for 10 July.

An aide of President Uhuru Kenyatta was earlier today quoted as saying that “shouting matches” are beneath the president and that he has other avenues of engaging with voters.

David Murathe told the Star newspaper that the president’s team was not aware of the rules of the debate.

“So let them do it without him [Mr Kenyatta],” he added.

A statement from opposition leader Raila Odinga’s team also said that he would not take part in the debate unless the format was changed.

The Committee of Presidential Debates, the body formed by media organisations to organise the debates, said all the campaign teams had been fully briefed about the debate rules.

It added that it would continue to work with the teams to find a solution.

Eight candidates will be vying for the presidency.