No plan to postpone Ondo guber poll – Yakoob

No plan to postpone Ondo guber poll – Yakoob
November 22 20:51 2016

The chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, Mahmood Yakoob, said on Tuesday that the commission would ignore calls for the postponement of the gubernatorial election in Ondo state.

The People Democratic Party and about 16 other political parties had called for the postponement of the election in view of the lingering crises in the major political parties and security situation in the state.

Yakoob however said the commission had put everything in place to ensure the success of the election which is scheduled to hold on Saturday.

Speaking at a meeting in Akure, Yakoob argued that the situation in Ondo had not met the conditions provided by the Electoral Act, required for an election to be postponed.

“We have taken steps to ensure that the Ondo election is held as scheduled. INEC has no plan to postpone the election this weekend,” he said.

He added that where disputes within a party became a matter of litigation, INEC would abide by the decisions of the Court to determine the candidate of the party.

Yakoob said INEC would abide the provisions of the Constitution and the Electoral Act in administering the election.

We have warned our officers to abide by the law. They have also sworn to an oath of neutrality.

This INEC will never be compromised. Only Ondo people will determine who becomes the next governor of this state,” he stated.

A total of 378,656 permanent voter cards are yet to be collected by registered voters in the state.

The Resident Electoral Commissioner, Olusegun Agbaje, who gave the figure at the meeting, said about 1,280,580 cards had been collected out of a total of 1, 659,186.