Jonathan fails to win $5m Mo Ibrahim Prize

Jonathan fails to win $5m Mo Ibrahim Prize
June 17 12:01 2016

Former President Goodluck Jonathan has failed to win the $5 million Mo Ibrahim Prize for Achievement in African Leadership.

The immediate past President was expected to be considered for the prestigious prize beign a former African leader who lost reelection and handed over power peacefully.

The Independent Prize Committee for the awards chaired by Dr. Salim Ahmed Salim, however announced on Thursday that no former African leader met the requirements for the 2015 version of the yearly award.

The prize, largest annually awarded prize in the world, which was instituted in 2006 by Sudanese telecoms entrepreneur, Mo Ibrahim, rewards former African leaders who demonstrated sterling qualities while in office, served their constitutionally mandated term; and demonstrated exceptional leadership.

“The Prize recognises and celebrates African executive leaders who, under challenging circumstances, have developed their countries and strengthened democracy and human rights for the shared benefit of their people, paving the way for sustainable and equitable prosperity.” It said.

The award is also “a standard for excellence in leadership in Africa, and not a ‘first prize’, there is not necessarily a Laureate every year,” the foundation said.

A winner enjoys $5m over 10 years and another $200,000 yearly for life and can also ask for another $200,000 for good causes he or she supports. So far, only the former presidents of Mozambique, Joaquim Chissano; Botswana’s Festus Mogae; Namibia’s Hifikepunye Pohamba; and Pedro Piers of Cape Verde have clinched the award. Ex-South African President Nelson Mandela was awarded an honorary prize in 2007.

Jonathan may have missed out on the awards due the ongoing probe of his stewardship by the present administration.

While many of his officials have been detained and prosecuted for one act of corruption or the other by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Jonathan himself told an international audience recently that he was aware thst his successor was probing him for alleged graft.