U.S. accuses South Sudan of frustrating peace deal

U.S. accuses South Sudan of frustrating peace deal
April 27 11:41 2016

The U.S. State Department on Tuesday in
 Washington accused the South Sudan’s
government of refusing to give landing
permission to planes carrying Riek Machar,
saying such action was inimical to peace deal.
It also accused both sides in South Sudan’s
two-year conflict of blocking peace efforts.

The department said Mr. Machar had
obstructed arrangements by arbitrarily asking
for more forces and heavy weapons to
precede his arrival.
Mr. Machar’s return to join a unity
government with his foes, originally scheduled
for early last week, was meant to seal a peace
deal signed in August to end fighting that has
killed thousands and forced a million to flee
their homes.

Washington said it has been a major player in
the accord that eventually secured South
Sudan’s secession from Sudan in 2011 and has
been a donor ever since.
It insisted that its future engagement would
depend on the leaders’ involvement in the
peace process.
Meanwhile, Mr. Machar’s Chief of Staff, Simon
Dual, flew into Juba on Monday, accompanied
by the 195 soldiers and the weapons the rebel
leader had asked for.

Mr. Dual, who did not say when Mr. Machar
would come into the country, expressed his
happiness to be back in the country.
“I am happy that I am in Juba.
“Our coming is to implement the peace
process and we are not going back to war,” he
said.
William Ezekiel, spokesman for Mr. Machar’s
SPLM-IO group, said the U.S. decision to
withdraw funding for a charter flight would
delay the return for yet another day.
“Right now, we are still working on the issue
and probably by tomorrow the first vice
president will arrive in Juba,” he added.

(Reuters/NAN)