I’m not ready to speak on arms probe – Jonathan

I’m not ready to speak on arms probe – Jonathan
January 27 21:45 2016

Former President Goodluck Jonathan has said he is not yet ready to respond to allegations that his administration diverted about $2.1 billion dollar meant for arms procurement into other purposes.

Former National Security Adviser, Col Sambo Dasuki (rtd) and some officials of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) are presently standing trial in connection with their alleged involvement in the scandal.

Though the chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Ibrahim Magu had said the commission had no evidence yet to warrant the arrest of the former President, there had been rumours and suggestions in certain quarters that Dr Jonathan needed to be questioned.

But in series of messages on his Twitter handle, Jonathan, who is in Geneva, Switzerland, where he is holding a press conference, said he would react to the issue when the time is right

“My voice will certainly be heard at the appropriate time regarding the alleged arms funds mismanagement. I would not want to interfere with the proceeding by the judicial system that my administration worked tirelessly to strengthen.

“My post presidential focus is advancing democracy and good governance in Africa. If we do not spend billions to educate Africa’s youths today, we will spend it fighting insecurity tomorrow,” the President said.